Monday, September 8, 2008

Start Number 30 for Number 36

Tonight, Greg Maddux pitches against his old team (the Padres) for the second time in a week.

When he was traded to the Dodgers in mid-August, I criticized the decision to have his first start come against the Phillies. I had three reasons:

(1) It came on two days' extra rest, which can make a sinker-baller's pitching arm "too strong" and give his pitches less movement.

(2) It meant he was pitching against the same team twice in a row. One of the reasons pitchers' performances generally decline in their second and third times through the lineup is that the more pitches the hitters see, the better read they get on the pitcher. Familiarity breeds extra-base hits, especially against a pitcher whose fastball maxes out in the mid-80s.

(3) The game was at Citizens Bank Park, a hitters' park and a tough place for Maddux's second debut with the Dodgers.

Maddux started that game brilliantly, allowing only one of the first eleven batters to reach (on an infield hit) and even managing to erase that runner on a double play. But then things started unraveling, starting with Pat Burrell's impressive ten-pitch walk. (Maddux had retired the first eleven batters on 28 pitches!) He pitched better than the box score suggested (seven earned runs in 5.2 innings, three of which came on his worst, and final, pitch), but the game, unfortunately, played out much as I had suspected.

The Dodgers have done it again, sort of. They didn't want Maddux pitching against the Arizona Diamondbacks, the only National League team he can't seem to beat. (He has a winning record against every other NL team--he does have a losing record against some AL teams, but the sample set from interleague play is small (19-13 overall)--yet he has a staggering 3-11 record against the Diamondbacks.) However, the worst of that has come at Chase Field, where he's 1-7 (yesterday's game was at Dodger Stadium), he's gone 2-2 against them the last two seasons, and the bottom line is he doesn't need to be coddled.

But they opted to flip-flop him with the talented left-hander Clayton Kershaw, and the 20-year-old phenom didn't have a good game last night. Three earned runs is fine, but 92 pitches in 4.0 innings isn't, and the bullpen was forced to throw the final five. Fortunately, the relievers were up to the task, the Dodgers' offense kicked into gear, and the Diamondbacks did their part by making errors in two crucial situations. The Dodgers won their eighth in a row and now lead the NL West by 1.5 games--not too shabby for a team that was 4.5 games out of first a mere eight games ago.

What about tonight? I still have some of the same concerns (pitching on two days' extra rest, facing the same team twice in a row), but there are important differences. Petco Park is a pitchers' park (and very familiar to Maddux, whose ERA is an outstanding 2.62 in the 86 innings he's pitched there this season), the Phillies are contenders in the NL East while the Padres have the worst record in the majors, and Maddux's mound opponent (Cha Seung Baek) gave up seven earned runs in 3.2 innings against the Dodgers just last week.

However, the Padres have been a decent team of late. They've only lost one of their last four series (a sweep by the Dodgers), and yesterday they scored ten runs against the Brewers, a very good ballclub that leads the NL Wild Card race by a four-game margin. Moreover, Chris Young was only four outs shy of the first perfect game(!) in Padres' franchise history. With Young watching from the bench, that might not seem relevant to tonight's contest, but such games give even a .385 team a little swagger, and the Padres' bullpen comes in well-rested, having thrown but a single inning in the last two days.

I just hate being wrong--one of my many character flaws--but I hated being right about Maddux's start against the Phillies even more. I really don't have a strong sense either way about tonight's game. Even if I did think Maddux and the Dodgers were going to win I wouldn't say so, because despite having a pretty logical mind, I'm insane when it comes to baseball and my favorite player. Hell, I yell instructions to the little men inside my television set before almost every pitch and, as irrational as I know it is, there's a part of me that believes they can hear me. And I'm quite indignant at them for listening so infrequently.

Incidentally, Maddux now wears number 36, before which he wore number 30, before which he wore number 36. But he'll always be number 31 to me.

UPDATE (9/9/08, 4:40 pm): I now know how to make updates!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

If anyone is wondering, I can vouch for the attempts at communication with the little men inside the television. Imagine my surprise when they answered back!

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to leave this as an UPDATE at the end of my original post, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. A little help, please?

This is also a test of whether anonymous users can now leave comments. I'd prefer you use your real name or a screen name (which I'll do at the end of this post), but this should make it easier for anyone who's a little intimidated by technology.

If you're not finding the process user-friendly enough, try the following: Click on the word "COMMENT" below the original post (not the pencil icon next to it), write your comment in the "Leave your comment" box, perform the word verification (i.e., type the letters you see displayed) and, if you're not signed in, click the circle in front of "Anonymous." Next, click on "Preview" if you want to see what your comment will look like before posting it, or go directly to clicking "Publish Your Comment" if you prefer.

UPDATE: This game went exactly as I suspected, and that's not a good thing. Maddux's sinker wasn't sinking, and he gave up four runs. He did give the team six innings, which was important given how taxed the bullpen was yesterday.

The team looked asleep on offense--perhaps a let-down after sweeping the Diamondbacks, but that's no excuse--and they were shut down by a pitcher who's not very good at all. In fact, it tied his longest outing of the season (7.0 innings), it was his longest outing without allowing a run, and it was his very first home victory of the season. (He was 0-8 at Petco Park before tonight!)

Mr. Torre, I know you're not reading this, but please stop pitching Maddux on long rest. It's not smart baseball, and you should know better.

P.S. to andrea: the little men inside the television ignored me all night!

--The Whiner

Anonymous said...

#36, eh? What happens if Chad Ocho Cinco is traded and #85 is taken on his new team? Just a thought.

The Whiner said...

Damn good thought, too. I'd probably suggest he file some kind of class-action suit with "He Hate Me."

I hadn't even heard of Chad Ocho Cinco until I read this. I better pay a little more attention to the NFL if I want to stay in the pool.