Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Unintended Consequences of a Biased Media

If this were an isolated incident then it would be, well, just an isolated incident. How's that for a tautology? I don't feel like making the case for media bias against Republicans and conservatives -- it's obvious to me and obviously non-existent to others -- and it's been made many times before (here's just one small example) -- but I don't think such bias does anyone any good, including Democrats and liberals, even including their candidates.

That latter part is counterintuitive -- and yes, sometimes giving a candidate a free ride helps put him in office -- but in national elections, especially with the growth of talk radio and the Internet, it's often harmful to the Democrats when their eventual nominee isn't challenged enough by the media. The candidate doesn't get the vetting he would have during the primaries, a vetting which might have toughened him up for the rest of the campaign or made the Democrats choose a different nominee.

A lot of Democrats had buyer's remorse in 2004 when they realized they'd chosen a candidate who had some serious skeletons in his closet -- I'll be happy to debate anyone as to whether the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth were honorable men or smear merchants -- and if the media had covered that story (the Vets had been telling it for months, and the networks and newspapers were paying it as much mind as they would, four years later, the story of Senator Edwards' lies and infidelity), either Senator Kerry would have been better prepared to respond to it or the Democrats would have nominated another candidate. And that candidate, who could not have been less dynamic than Kerry if he'd tried -- I'm assuming the rules would have prohibited a potentially renominated Vice-President Gore from using slides during the presidential debates -- might very well have won the election.

Senator Obama is an outstanding orator. Sometimes I find his rhetoric lofty but vacuous, while other times I find it substantive and powerful. But he's never been nearly as impressive when speaking extemporaneously, and his stump speeches -- for all his talk of change -- seem to have repeated the same stories, the same one-liners, and the same clichés (even if they're novel the first time, they're bound to become clichés by the hundredth) for months and months.

But the media only spoke of his political dynamism and didn't address this crack in his oratorical armor. Senator McCain made a proposal that was unprecedented in modern presidential history: to engage in dual town meetings, answering unscreened questions from ordinary citizens and without the formality and strictures of a typical presidential debate. Obama rejected the proposal.

Shouldn't the media have been curious as to why the man whose speeches many had compared to the greatest in our nation's history -- the finest of Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, and John F. Kennedy -- did not want to field questions side-by-side with his opponent? When it comes to written speeches performed with a teleprompter, McCain is not in the same league as Obama -- I don't think he's even playing the same sport -- but when he's speaking extemporaneously, McCain seems much more comfortable and effective than Obama.

Politically, it was probably a wise decision for Obama to reject McCain's proposal. But it's hard to rationalize the media's decision to virtually ignore that rejection, especially given Obama's claim to offer a new type of politics, one marked by post-partisanship and focused on policy. In the short run, it might have helped him for these paradoxes -- the great speaker who ducks the opportunity to speak side-by-side with the mediocre one, a man who wants the campaign to be about issues but doesn't want audiences hearing him and his opponent expressing their opinions in the same setting -- to have been ignored.

But here we are, less than 50 days before Election Day, and even CNN can't ignore this. Does it help Senator Obama that people are learning now that he's lost without a teleprompter? Does it help the Democrats? People see that Governor Palin, who's been on the national scene for half a month, has been lambasted because her first two speeches were scripted and delivered with a teleprompter and her first several stump speeches repeated a lot of the same notes. Now they see the media, for the first time, noticing that Senator Obama has been doing the very same thing for almost two years. Has the double standard now become impossible for the American public to ignore?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos you link to at the top were posted on the photographer's blog - not exactly the mainstream media. The Atlantic printed a flattering photo of a dignified McCain.
As you know, a study showed that, lo and behold, the New York Times has a liberal slant, the Wall Street Journal a conservative one. As for the networks, again it's not hard to notice slants one way or the other. Yet you appear tag them all as liberal. And which is more mainstream - the newspapers I mentioned above or R. Limbaugh's radio show? I'm guessing it's the latter with the wider audience.
As for the unintended consequences of certain outlets giving candidates an easy time of it, I agree that there's no substitute for trial by fire.

The Whiner said...

You've focused on a sliver of my post. It's part of my first sentence, but my third sentence includes the bland assertion that media bias against Republicans and conservatives is "obvious to me and obviously non-existent to others."

I gave examples of major issues with the Democratic nominee for president that were ignored in each of the last two elections. Do you have comparable examples for the Republican nominees?

As for the study you reference, no, I'm not familiar with it. The bias on the part of the New York Times is blatant -- though unacknowledged -- and extends beyond the editorial and op-ed pages to the rest of the paper. The Wall Street Journal's editorial and op-ed pages tend to be conservative, but that bias doesn't extend to the news pages.

Moreover, the Journal's stance on illegal immigration is liberal. Then again, so is President Bush's. Liberals don't give Bush any credit for this, and you apparently don't give the Journal any for it either. Has the Times staked out a conservative position on any significant issue?

Let's discuss how the two newspapers handled two recent stories. The National Enquirer had the goods on Senator Edwards' lies and infidelity for the better part of a year. If the Times ever did cover this story, it was only after Edwards copped to it. However, while they were ignoring Edwards' extracurricular activities, they printed a thinly sourced, front-page story that suggested Senator McCain was having an affair with a lobbyist. Oddly enough, they printed that story right after McCain became the presumptive Republican nominee for president.

Meanwhile, the Journal ignored both stories.

I also think you're confusing mainstream with influential. Rush Limbaugh does not hide his political biases, and he's also never going to be picked to moderate a presidential debate. The networks purport to be neutral, and the New York Times claims to carry "all the news that's fit to print." If the NYT admitted what their first public editor, Daniel Okrent, admitted -- "OF course it is [liberal]" -- that would be a good first step, though I'm still trying to figure out why Okrent made that the topic of his last column, not his first.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D01E7D8173DF936A15754C0A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Anonymous said...

You note the WSJ's stance on immigration - which seems consistent with conservative economic theory - if not social conservatism here in the U.S. One might similarly categorize the NYT's stance on keeping abortion legal as a conservative, keep gov't out of my life, position. Yes, I know it's a question of states' rights, etc. but wasn't that principle tossed out the window in Bush v Gore (2000)?
Didn't realize comments would be commented upon. And in public, too.
And, my apologies, I don't have the link to the study handy.

The Whiner said...

gs,

Since you obviously thought your comments critiquing my original post wouldn't be responded to -- at least not by me -- and at least not at this public site -- I am genuinely sorry.

I'm new at this blogging thing, but I see my role as both stating my opinions and initiating a conversation. I'm thrilled when someone joins the conversation, as you did -- thank you (something I should have said before) -- and oftentimes I'll be moved to respond accordingly.

At times, there might be spirited debate, though I hope it will always remain respectful. I'm optimistic enough to believe that occasionally minds will be changed, including my own.

Apparently the questions you raised in each of your comments were meant rhetorically, or you assumed that the owner of the site wouldn't chime in personally. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Anyone and every one is welcome to use a pseudonym or post as "anonymous" if they feel more comfortable doing so.

I wish I had a plethora of loyal readers and commenters. If I did, perhaps I'd be more inclined to sit back and watch the fun.

In any case, I'll respect your wishes and not comment on your second comment publicly. In the future, however, I reserve the right to have my say after you have your say ... and so on, and so on.

Thanks again, both for reading the blog and making some interesting comments. (Aside to other readers: uninteresting comments are welcome, too.) I hope that my inclination to respond to commenters won't deter you from commenting, my friend. Sometimes my reply might be as short and sweet as "Great point!"

Anonymous said...

I was up to speed by the time I made my second post. Fire away. What's the public utility of a private flogging anyway?

The Whiner said...

Commonwealth Edison, I think, but they might subcontract out their private floggings.